Monday 11 February 2008

Quiet Times

I haven't really got an excuse for my lack of blogging over the last week or so. I just haven't felt our food worthy of blogging I suppose - it's been quite normal and we haven't really tried anything new... but here is a quick update!

Pancake Day
I made some pancakes last Tuesday. Hubby doesn't like pancakes (except for Little Chef ones apparently, but I think that is more of a rekindled memory as he hasn't been to a Little Chef for a very long time). Every year I make myself a couple of pancakes with lemon and brown sugar and try to tempt him into trying them to no avail. This year I think I won. Well, I won him over with the filling - ice cream and Dulce de Leche (sickly toffee sauce). I stuck to my lemon and sugar combination but here is Hubbys sickly sweet pancake...


Rhosneigr
On Saturday we took a day trip to the lovely beachside village that is Rhosneigr on Anglesey - it was a beautifully sunny day and it really did not feel like February. The kite surfers were out in force enjoying the good weather...


And we quickly visited the South Stack in Holyhead before heading home...


Sausages and Mash with Jamies O's Red Onion Gravy
We spent most of yesterday having a good clean and clear out. I had intended on sitting down at some point in the day and deciding on the weeks menu's but left it far too late. In fact we only just managed to get to a Sainsbury's about 20 minutes before closing. With the rushing around we ended up with a rather satisfying dinner - chilli & corriander sausages with mash, purple sprouting broccoli and my trusty red onion gravy...

Red onion Gravy (for 2)
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 clove garlic, finely sliced (can be left out)
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
hot water & vegetable stock cube

Fry onions & garlic gently for 5 minutes
Add balsamic vinegar & reduce by half
Crumble in a little stock cube & add hot water - keep simmering & add water as required to consistency you require

5 comments:

Jules said...

Little Chef pancakes, now that brings back memories! I used to love the pancake with cherries and a block of vanilla icecream.

Rosie said...

Lovely post Claire. Rhosneigr looks a lovely beach and to think it's only Feb still with the sun shining!

Nothing like bangers and mash with a good gravy too - yum! :D

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

This is my first time here and what a lovely blog you have. Your bangers and mash looks delish ;o)

Maria

Rosie said...

Wishing you a very Happy Valentines Day!

I would like to present you on this Valentines Day a Red Rose

http://rosiebakesapeaceofcake.blogspot.com/2008/02/for-my-valentine-cupcakes.html

Rosie x

Rosie said...

Hi Claire,

You have been tagged for a MeMe (if you haven't already done it) : )

http://rosiebakesapeaceofcake.blogspot.com/

Rosie x